Fighting The Common Cold
By Kathryn Szklany, MA
Well some of us were hoping it would pass us this year, but winter has arrived. As it starts to become colder in Central New York and the snow continues to fall, some of us may find ourselves with stuffy noses, harsh coughs, and sore throats. It’s that time of year….Cold & Flu Season has arrived. Try to incorporate more of these beverages/foods and hopefully you can fight away the common cold.
1. Green tea – A superpower antioxidant not only has been shown to help fight off the common cold but also prevent certain kinds of cancer. Green tea will enhance your immune system and the steam from the tea helps with opening the nasal passages allowing you to breathe easier. Add some honey to your tea to help soothe a sore throat.
2. Ginger-Add ginger to your tea, or sprinkle some on meats and vegetables. This spice is considered a vasodilator and helps to open your airway which in turn allows you to breathe easier.
3. Citrus Fruits/veggies (oranges, tangerines, tomatoes, grapefruit): Not only packed with vitamin C, but full of antioxidants, fiber, and anti-inflammatory properties. Help to enhance your immune system and prevent and fight the common cold.
4. Garlic- Add some fresh garlic to your favorite dish! The garlic bulb is a decongestant and is considered to be an antioxidant
5. Fluids- Drink plenty of water, green tea, and 100% fruit juice to keep your body hydrated. Though you can’t flush a cold out of your system, staying hydrated will help loosen congestion and fight dehydration.
6. Chicken soup- Everyone knows that chicken noodle soup is comforting when fighting a cold. The warm broth helps to loosen up mucus while the chicken and vegetables add anti-inflammatory properties to your meal.
Remember to always see a doctor if your cold does not go away or gets worse.